10.18.2010

Back to School

This school year has been a whirlwind for D.J. & Luke. We decided to send the boys to a new charter school that opened this year close to our house. I was really excited with the curriculum they were teaching and the hands on philosophy they have. Unfortunately the school wasn't run the way they had implied, not even a little. It is kind of a long story but in a nutshell after spending almost EVERYDAY at the school to make sure they were safe (yes, I said safe, it was that bad), the school bus driver going the wrong direction and dropping my poor kids off 2 hours late (5:15 to be exact), a meeting with the administration where I was told to be patient while they try to make the school safe (ummm...no, safety is a must) and 2 teachers picking Luke up off the floor by the collar of his shirt and having him sit in the corner the whole class period, I was DONE! (these things were only the tip of the iceberg) After 6 days there I talked to the boys and they were ready to go back to their old school. So 3 weeks after school started the boys went back to their old public school and they couldn't be happier. It was one of the hardest weeks I have ever had as a mom but I learned a lot of good lessons and realized sometimes we as parents make bad decisions and need to admit it and fix them. These pictures are on their first day at the charter school in their uniforms. Aren't they handsome?! I think so!




This picture cracks me up. I was trying to get a picture of D.J. at the school while he waited for his teacher but no matter what he wouldn't look at the camera. He keeped looking around at the other kids with this look on his face that said "whose Mom is that?" Notice most of the other kids were looking at me, but not D.J.. I finally left him alone. He's growing up too fast!
Luke's teacher told the kids to grab a book on the shelf and start reading while they waited for school to start. Luke grabbed a chapter book and tried to convinced the teacher he could read it. It didn't take long for her to realize he tends to 'stretch the truth'. LOL
Libby and I made the boys some school bus cookies for an after school snack. The bus didn't drop them off until 5:15 p.m. so by the time they got home they were starving and they ate the WHOLE plate of cookies. I felt so bad for them so I just let them. Not my best Mom moment. :)

After all the chaos of the first couple of weeks at school I'm happy to report that things are going great at their school and most important D.J. and Luke are learning a lot, feel safe, and are happy, to me, that is what's important!

1 comment:

K said...

What safety issues did you have? Just curious :)